Friday, October 24, 2008

Ginger Cake and a lack of Pink


Testing a ginger loaf recipe this morning and was struck by how out of my colour loop the old mixer is, so took this pic.

Just the other day I had been drooling over a beautiful pink Kitchen-Aid mixer, easily available for a mear $600. Well I hope that some other electrical manufacture makes pink mixers 'cause just after taking this pic, while in the midst of the second test mix in fact, mine bit the dust. It has been on the way out for over 10 years and today was the day.

We've had this good old Sunbeam for just over 30 years, and there are lots of memories associated with it, our boys learned to bake with it and the Grandies have had a few goes as well.

There is one family story about one of the boys (no names will be mentioned ) while standing at the kitchen bench eating a bowl of ice-cream, started turning the beaters on and off, then of course just to see what would happen, tried to catch a whirring beater - well I'm sure you can fill in the rest of that story yourself, and yes he still has 10 digits.



The first cake (the loaf) was made using bi-carb soda, as a google of the American baking soda comes up as being the same, well, to sift 1 teaspoon of bi-carb in with the flour just seemed wrong, I'm used to disolving bi-carb in a liquid. Anyway went ahead and the cake seemed to come out fine, that is until I opend the oven door, it smelt just yucky, sour and earthy.

It cut fine but as it cooled did not loose the odour and the taste of it was just as bad, gave a crumb to the Shitzu and he is now not talking to me.
By this time the second cake was already in the oven, I cooked it in a small round tin to distinguish the slight recipe changes I made, needn't have worried, the cakes are like chalk and cheese, I used 1 teaspoon of baking powder and got a really nice cake, in fact I've just lunched on a slice. The ginger pieces pressed into the top give a nice chewy topping and the cake itself is moist and fluffy.


Now off to clean up the kitchen and ponder over the mixer.

Grandies coming for sleepover for tonight..........Yay!

No comments: