Sunday, October 12, 2008

Posy Quilt

As I paid the yearly subs for the Cottage last week, I am making an effort to have a work project to take along, as I usually machine piece and quilt (in straight lines) something simple was needed. I found a great pattern, "Posy Patchwork", designed by Jody Watkins and featured in Australian Patchwork & Quilting Christmas Issue October 2004.
The pattern calls for nine patches alternating with a floral block, the flowers are to be fused to the background fabric so I thought I would give the 'Charlot's Web' fusible thread a go. There is a bit more to this than just running a machine stitch around the edge of the design.
I found that the large needle recommended leaves visible holes in the flowers, the holes would be covered by the blanket stitch IF the fusible stitching line is close enough to the edge. Some of my lines aren't. oops.
Getting the tension right on the polyester thread is also a challenge. I found that it pulls, gathering the fabric up slightly.

However, I now have 2 blocks ready to take off to the cottage to play with next week, one I machine stitched the web around the edge of the design and one I just lay a circle of the web thread under the fabric, this may not be secure enough to hold the fabric flat while I stitch. Time will tell.

No comments: